Thursday, February 09, 2006

Cyber Rows - Why?

I'm not a confrontational person. In fact, I chicken out of rows as I hate them. Really bad in a marriage as it is hard to get anything resolved without clearing the air sometimes and my lovely husband doesn't do rows either - more of the ostrich type - 'if you bury your head long enough she'll shut up'!

But rows with strangers on websites and chatrooms? What is that all about? I can't imagine summoning up enough anger or energy to have a row online, or insult someone I don't know (apart from people in the public eye of course! but that's different, and they don't know anyway LOL). I mean, why not just switch off? You don't even get the satisfaction of seeing the impact of your statements.

My theory is that for some people it's actually easier to have a row online than be brave enough to front issues in real life so all that pent up anger, frustration and bitterness comes out on a bunch of strangers who ultimately they are not accountable to.

My reaction? Get a life! Walk away - but then I would, wouldn't I?

No comments: