Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Twisted Sketch #115


I was so excited to be started my term as a Twisted Sister and with the first sketch at the ready (see here) and a twist of 'Clear' my mind was running.

With no photos that jumped to mind for me to use 'clear' in the title, I started to think about transparencies, then I remembered I had a piece of acrylic 12x12 in my stash. I've always wanted to have a go at one of these, so feeling very brave I launched into the design.

The photo is of my very special crop friends. We have met monthly on a Saturday for about 5 years and each year have a 'birthday crop' in February to celebrate. At these crops we have had challenges, lots of cake and sometimes taken some group photos - this one is from our 3rd birthday crop.

I'd had the photo and the Basic Grey Doily matched up for a while, but everything I'd thought of was too dark, so to use a clear background helped to lighten it up. I punched holes down one edge with my Cropadile and used alternate pink and white eyelets in the holes to make a border.

I edged the acrylic with white paint, cut my patterned paper and then added some embellishments - labels from MME Rosey, a flower made from a hybrid printable from Shimelle, a chipboard flower and a BG brad. The thickers I had for the title were way too bright so I toned them down with two colours of versamark ink (thanks Lorna). The border strip is from Sassafras.

It all looks very simple but it took me ages to decide exactly how to do it, and I'm pleased with the result. Now the great memories from that crop (and all the others that have become a really important fixture in my life) are recorded in a way that makes me happy.

Materials used:

12x12 acrylic sheet, cropadile and WRMK eyelets, BG Olivia doily, MM noteworthy ledger paper, Border sticker from Sassafras 'Sunshine Broadcast', hybrid printable circles from Shimelle.com, chipboard flower (from stash), Brad from Basic Grey. White acrylic paint. Label stickers - MME Rosey, foam thickers from American Crafts, inks by Versamark.

Thank you for looking.

5 comments:

Lee-Anne said...

I love the way you used pink and white eyelets on the right side of your layout. Very nice layout!

Sue Jones said...

Gorgeous Layout!

The Constant Scrapper said...

Ali, the way you used the clear acrylic background worked so well! I know all too well how it can sometimes take forever to finish a layout that looks "simple" to those who didn't work on it. ;-) Great job, and welcome to the Twisted Sisters team!

Sandra said...

Being one that was lucky to have seen this in real life, I can really say its a gorgeous layout

Jo said...

A stunning layout that looks even more amazing in real life