Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Twisted Sketch #125 - Trounced!

My darling husband is a fairly good golfer, and I once beat him on a putting green but when it comes to Crazy Golf - a tradition in our family - I just can't win.  I decided that I should really record this frustrating fact for posterity as I hardly ever scrap photos of me, and Twisted Sketch #125 with its circular features was perfect for the task. The twist this week is 'Black'. This is my version:



In accordance with my self imposed need to use up my scraps, and on a whim to use my sewing machine, I started off, with a whole sheet of black paper in line with this week's twist.  I made a frame, and sewed a couple of circles.  I am a big fan of Davinie Fiero and her layout 'A weekend on the Beach' (scroll down a bit) inspired the sewed circles.  Being a far better stitcher than I could ever dream to be, mine are wonky, hers are perfect, but anyway...  I then cut away the inside of the circles, but could get any further.

A few days later I decided to cut around the outside of the circles and make them into a frame.  I cut up some scraps of paper - Crate, Basic Grey, Daisy D's and something reddish to pick up the colours of my dress and slid them under the frame.  I then dithered for ages about the edge, which was finally solved by adding a green frame to the kraft and some faux stitching.

The title also eluded me for ages, as I wanted it to be short and sweet and I already have a 'Crazy Golf' titled LO from another epic family battle.  Besides, the photo shows my desperation to win, and DH's benevolent (but smug) look that says that he knows however hard I try, he will still win!) Finally I came up with 'Trounced!), and matched some of my odd letters to the papers (I love mixed titles) to make up the title.

An American Crafts 'blackboard sticker' matted onto a scalloped circle and journalled with my frustration and an October afternoon date sticker finished the look.  I dithered about further embellishment but decided that there was enough on the page for my satisfaction.  So - a long process but I'm happy with the result.

The layout also records for posterity one of my favourite jackets (turquoise lining!) and shoes - alas now defunct, but I'm glad to remember them through this photo.

3 comments:

The Constant Scrapper said...

Ali, this turned out so well! I love the stitched circles. And that title is great. :-)

Jen Cro said...

I love all of the stitching on your circles. Fun layout.

Jo said...

Great layout and I love the title. I'm a bit handy on the crazy golf course :) xx