Monday, February 18, 2013

Bright Ideas Part 2

There have been some great ideas during this class at Studio Calico - not necessarily new, but it's always good to see a fresh take on something that you haven't done for a while.

This time it was an ad inspiration  which you can see in on this Pinterest link (as the class is sign up only) here.  I liked the combination of shapes and the way some of them overlapped the edge, but I didn't want to scrap with a small photo as I didn't have any, so I tried to work out how I could use the placement ideas with a large photo.  This is what I came up with:


Now yellow is not my first go-to colour when I'm scrapping, but I had a sheet in a kit with Lily Bee papers from Sarah's Cards last year which I was trying to use up and the yellow door in the photo led me to make the decision.  The 2 card matched the door perfectly and I was off!  I needed to keep the palette under control as I'm not a big fan of multicolour madness so stuck to the two shades of yellow, pale grey and black, with some small wooded touches (I couldn't resist the tree button).

I wanted to replicate the title in the bottom corner as seen on the ad, to mix shapes and to add some dimension as the ad shows little 3d boxes.  I decided sewing would do the trick, along with some layered embellishments on the shapes.

The top right shape is cut from Prima wooden button packaging with a Studio Calico stamp backing acetate added to it.  As ever there is ancient stash included - the flower centre has been hanging around so long I can't actually remember who made it!



Thanks for looking.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

What a great way of using up older stash Ali. And I like the idea of using the ad as inspiration

Jo said...

Great layout and well done for using older stash x

glorygirl said...

This is great! Love all the different shapes on this page! Way to work your photos and your stash!

petrii said...

I'm taking this class too. Loving it!!! The challenges are inspiring me and stretching me.

Love your LO!! Blessings ~~ dawn